It is the policy of the Board of Management of Cloonakilla N.S. that school tours be conducted to include the following considerations:
- School tours will take place each year for all children attending the school, taking into account the goodwill of the teachers to accompany children and the ability of the children to conduct themselves in a safe manner.
- It is the hope that during their time in the school that the children will be exposed to a variety of destinations including cultural, educational, sporting etc. and that each tour will be varied in such a way to cater for all interests. School tours will not include trips to shopping centres due to the unnecessary dangers children can be exposed to and the difficulty in providing adequate supervision. At the discretion of the parents, the teachers involved and the Principal, children may be brought away for overnight stays.
- All classes will be brought on age appropriate outings at the discretion of the class teacher. From time to time they may be afforded the opportunity to attend shows, exhibitions, conducted tours, sporting events and other curriculum-related activities.
- Third / Fourth, Fifth / Sixth classes will go on a day tour to a venue of educational and/or entertainment value. It is the hope that during this four year period that the children will be exposed to a variety of destinations including cultural, educational, sporting etc. and that each tour will be varied in such a way to cater for all interests. On alternate years 5th & 6th class pupils are given the opportunity to go on a two night trip to Delphi for 2 nights/3 day stay.
- Infant, First and Second classes will be brought on age-appropriate outings for a full day duration. From time to time they may be afforded the opportunity to attend shows etc.
- The Principal, in consultation with the teachers, will decide the arrangements for all trips.
- Parents will be furnished by letter with sufficient details in order for them to give or withhold that permission.
- Permission must be secured from the Board for all trips.
- The secretary will attend to booking of venues and hire of buses and all other organisational matters will be attended by the class teacher.
- For day trips, the cost of the outing will be collected in its entirety by the class teacher. In the case of more expensive trips, a system of saving will be set up well in advance of the trip to ease the burden of payment.
- Parents will be notified of all relevant details about the outing well in advance of the day.
- Children will be supervised at all times on school tours. A SET will accompany each class teacher on school outings. Where a child has SNA access they too will accompany the class. The supervision ratio of teacher to pupil is 1:20
- Teachers & SNA’S will be extra vigilant when taking children out of the school. Special attention will be paid to Road Safety, behaviour on bus and risks posed by particular venues
- Class teachers are responsible for taking a tour kit on all outings. The kit will contain a list of contact numbers for each child and a First Aid Kit. For children with intimate care needs / medical condition a designated staff member will be present to administer medication if required.
- Based on age and venue teacher will agree and notify parents of the upper limit of spending money.
- The same standard of behaviour will be expected on a school tour as pertains in school and strict adherence to the Code of Discipline will be expected.
- Pupils who do not go on the school tour will attend school and be supervised as per normal.
- Mobile phones / gaming devices are not permitted on school tours with the exception of the overnight tour. In this instance pupils will have supervised access to their phones for 1 hour each evening. Teachers will have responsibility for phones at other times.
- Fieldtrips which relate to a particular curricular area are encouraged. These trips can range from simple walks around the school to organised trips to relevant places of interest.
- The principal must be informed in advance if it is proposed that a class leave the school grounds.
- Teachers are encouraged to plan and prepare children in advance of the trip and to carry out some follow up work in the classroom following the fieldtrip.
- Teachers should ensure adequate supervision at all times. Where necessary, an SNA or another teacher should accompany the class on the trip.
- Children should be appropriately dressed for the fieldtrip e.g. raingear, suitable footwear etc.
- No child is to be refused participation in any proposed activity because of family inability to pay.
Signed: __Tommy Cormican_____ Date _16/05/2022
Chairman, Board of Management, Cloonakilla N.S