Policy No. 20
Parental Complaints Procedure
This policy was reviewed in December 2012 and November 2013. Below is a copy of the reviewed policy.
The Board of Management of Cloonakilla N.S. have set out the following policy on the procedures for processing complaints by parents to comply with Section 28, Education Act 1998.
The school promotes positive home-school contacts and endeavours to enhance the self-esteem of everyone within the school community. To afford parents the opportunity to express and address opinions and grievances, the Board has set up a framework outlined below. Through use of this framework, it is hoped to minimise the opportunity for conflict.
This policy does not cover:
- Complaints that are being dealt with through legal channels.
- Matters of professional competence which come under the remit of the DES.
- Petty complaints which do not relate to the work of a particular teacher.
If a parent has a concern in relation to the social or academic progress of their child, or the performance of a teacher, the following steps are to be followed:
- Stage 1 – Informal Stage
- The parent/guardian meets with the class teacher on appointment. If the matter is not resolved the class teacher/parent/guardian informs the Principal of the complaint. If the matter remains unresolved the parent/guardian/principal may raise the matter with the chairman of the B.O.M.
- Stage 2 –Written Stage
- If the grievance persists, the parent/guardian may pursue the matter by lodging a complaint in writing to the chairman of the Board who will bring the nature of the complaint to the notice of the teacher and seek to resolve the issue between both parties within 5 days of receipt of the written complaint.
- Stage 3 – Notify teacher
- If this process fails, the chairman will supply the teacher with a copy of the written complaint and arrange a meeting with the teacher concerned and the principal. This will happen within 10 school days of receipt of the written complaint.
- Stage 4 – Notify Board of Management
- If the complain remains unresolved the chairman will report formally to the Board of Management within 10 school days. If the Board does not uphold the complaint, both parties will be informed immediately. If the Board considers that the complaint warrants further investigations, the teacher will be informed and be supplied with any written evidence in support of the complaint.
- Stage 5 – Teacher’s Imput
- The teacher will be requested to supply a written statement to the board and be given an opportunity to make an oral presentation to the Board. The complainant will be offered a similar opportunity. The process should be completed within 10 days of the first meeting between the Chairman, Principal and teacher.
- Stage 6 – BOM Decision
- Within 5 school days, the decision of the Board will be delivered in writing to the teacher and the complainant. This decision is final and binding.
- Signed:____________________________ ______________
- Chairman, Board of Management Cloonakilla N.S. Date
- Date for Review: November 2016