Cloonakilla N.S. was built in 1958 as a two teacher school with Mr. A. Faulkner as Principal and Mrs. Quinn as assistant. Mary Fitzpatrick replaced Mrs. Quinn in 1976 and Michael O’Grady was appointed Principal on Mr. Faulkner’s retirement in 1978.
A new classroom was added in 1984 as the school expanded. A further classroom was added in 1990 bringing the number of class teachers to four. In 2003 renovations were completed on the old Cloonakilla school building. This now has two classrooms.
Michael O’Grady retired in 2006 and Mary O’Rourke was appointed as Principal. In December 2010 Mary Fitzpatrick retired after 34 years in Cloonakilla N.S.
Since then the school has expanded to include fifteen class teachers, five SEN teachers and four SNAs. In September 2017 the school moved into a new state of the art premises which replaced the original school building and the many prefabs which had been installed to cater for the increased enrolment in the school.