2nd September, 2015
Welcome to the start of another school year. I would like to extend a special welcome to our new families, both in Junior Infants and in the other classes throughout the school. I hope you will be happy among us and that this school year will be a rewarding experience for all.
Cloonakilla N.S. opens at 09.30am. Children will not be admitted into the school building before this time and may wait in the shelter area if weather is inclement. School ends at 03.10pm. However, the school yard will be supervised from 9.20am and until 3.20pm to facilitate drop off and collection of children. The Board of Management do not accept any responsibility for children who are on the premises outside of these times.
You are not required to complete a pupil up-date form for this school year. However, if important information has changed e.g. mobile phone no’s, address, contact persons etc. you are asked to contact the school secretary either in writing or by phone as soon as possible and she will make the necessary adjustments.
I would like to draw your attention also to the following matters;
School Car Park: It is of utmost importance that all parents adhere to the traffic management system in the carpark to facilitate the free-flow of traffic and the safety of all.
- The Entrance and Exit system must be adhered to. It is not acceptable to disobey these signs.
- The yellow box at the front gate is reserved for the school bus. Cars are NOT permitted to stop in this box to drop off children.
- Please drop your children promptly and move on thus allowing others to do the same. Parents who congregate at the school gate are causing disruption for others.
- Children in the old school building must enter and exit school at main school gate. This is for safety reasons.
- Please observe parking spaces which are reserved for teachers’ parking.
- Please do not park near Vincent Bannon’s private entrance (house beside school) as this denies the family access.
Code of Discipline: All pupils are being issued with a Code of Discipline form (excluding Junior Infants as it has already been submitted with enrolment application). I would ask you to read through the school rules with your child and sign accordingly. The Incredible Years Programme is a behaviour management programme that is in operation in the school. It promotes positive behaviour but also manages inappropriate behaviour with discipline strategies. This programme is described in greater detail in the Code of Behaviour Policy which can be viewed on the school website. Please return the Code of Discipline form to the class teacher as soon as possible.
School Tracksuit Top: All children are expected to have the school tracksuit top. Tracksuit tops cost €20.00 each and can be purchased by calling to the staff room between 10.00am and 2.00pm. Please label tracksuit tops and uniform.
School Calendar: Please see attached.
School Attendance: Please note that all absences from school of twenty days or over must be reported to the National Education Welfare Board. When your child has been absent for 20 days or more you will be notified that a referral is being made to the N.E.W.B. Schools are obliged by law to make this referral regardless of the reasons for absences. Please notify the class teacher in writing if your child is absent. DO NOT RING THE SCHOOL as this only interrupts class time.
Lost Property: There is a large selection of unclaimed coats/jackets etc. from last year. These can be reclaimed from the staffroom until Friday, 11th September. After that date all clothes will go to recycling center.
Swimming Lessons: The first session of swimming lessons will commence on Wednesday, 9th September for 1st (Ms O’Keefe’s) and 3rd classes. The second session will commence on November 4th for 1st (Ms Shine’s), 4th and 5th classes. The session will comprise of 7 lessons and the cost will be €40 which includes pool and transport fee. The bus will leave school at 11.45am. Please return the fee with the section overleaf. Only children who have prepaid before Tuesday 8th will be permitted to go swimming on Wed 9th. Swimming is optional as children who don’t go will remain in class. Swimming lessons will not be offered to second class this year due to large numbers.
Arts & Crafts: Each child is required to pay €25.00 towards the cost of Arts & Craft materials and photocopying paper. This should be given to the class teacher as soon as possible. Due to the rising costs it is vital that all parents pay this fee as soon as possible.
Healthy Lunch Policy: We endorse a healthy eating policy in our school. We encourage parents to plan a healthy lunch using food from each of the food groups. The following foods are NOT allowed in the school; sweets, fizzy drinks, chocolate, bars including cereal bars, winders and crisps. A simple approach to healthy eating is to use the food pyramid.
School Policies: All relevant policies can be viewed on our school website.
Anti-Bullying: For the month of September all classes will work on the theme of Anti-Bullying as part of the S.P.H.E. Curriculum. This will help to create an atmosphere within the school whereby bullying of any type is seen as unacceptable behaviour. A class charter will be drawn up in each classroom and children will be made aware of the procedures involved in the event of bullying occurring. Parents should make themselves familiar with policy which can be viewed on the school website. On October 1st a seminar for children and parents will be held on Bullying. You will be notified of details nearer to the event.
School Insurance Enclosed please find school insurance forms. If you wish to avail of same please return to the class teacher as soon as possible in a sealed envelope clearly marked as these are forwarded to the Parents Association for processing.
P.E. Class teachers will inform children of their P.E. Day. School Tracksuit tops must be worn on P.E. days and children may wear tracksuit bottoms of their choosing. Tracksuits are also to be worn on swimming day. The full school uniform must be worn on all other days. As stated in the school rules children are not allowed to wear studs, earrings and jewellery on P.E. days. This is for Health & Safety purposes.
Parent–Teacher Meetings: These will be held in November. You will be notified closer to the time. If you wish to speak to a teacher regarding your child please make an appointment to do so. Every effort will be made to facilitate you.
Birthday Invitations: We all know that often unnecessary and unintended hurt is caused to children who are not invited to parties. For that reason the B.O.M ask parents/children not to distribute such invitations either in the school itself or at the school gate in view of other children. We make such a request in order to cherish all children equally. We have attached a Consent Form for parents of Junior Infants to sign to allow us to distribute your contact details on request.
Buddy Programme: A Buddy Programme will operate in the Junior Infant playground from September to Easter. This comprises of a rota of senior pupils who will ensure that all Junior Infant children are comfortable in the playground. They will encourage children to play together and will ensure no child is left on his/her own. We have found this programme to be very beneficial in the past.
School Self–Evaluation: S.S.E. will be on-going in the school for the school year. Our 3rd subject for S.S.E. is Science. We will be working on Year 3 of our Literacy Plan and Year 1 of our Numeracy Plan. You will be informed with more details of our School Improvement Plan late in September.
I look forward to working with you all during the new school year.
Cloonakilla National School
- Children using the school bus should line up in an orderly manner for evening bus.
- On hearing the school bell children should form an orderly line in the morning and after break-times before entering the school building. Children should respond immediately to the school bell.
- Children are not allowed leave the school grounds without the permission of the Principal.
- Classrooms should be vacated during break times.
- A written note is required for absences from school and also for early departures.
- Children should bring a healthy, nutritious lunch to school. CHEWING GUM IS NOT ALLOWED.
- Mobile phones are not permitted in school. Urgent messages will be conveyed to the pupils.
- Children should respect themselves and their property. School uniform should be worn on all days except P.E. days when the P.E. tracksuit must be worn. Pupils are not allowed to wear studs, earrings and jewellery on P.E. days.
- School yard, classrooms, toilets, etc. are to be kept litter free.
- Dangerous games are prohibited, e.g. throwing of sticks, stones, etc.
- Children should do their best in school by listening carefully, working as hard as they can and by completing homework.
- Children must show courtesy and good manners to each other, to all school staff and visitors to the school.
- Children should play only in their designated play areas. They must obey the playground rules which will be explained clearly by each class teacher.
- Any form of bullying is NOT ALLOWED and will be dealt with in accordance with our Anti-Bullying Policy.
Cloonakilla National School
Procedures for Dealing with Unacceptable Behaviour
Some of the following strategies will be used to show disapproval of unacceptable behaviour
- Completion of “Think Sheet” (Incredible Years Programme)
- Reasoning with pupils
- Reprimand (including advice on how to improve)
- Prescribed extra work
- Communication with parents
- Temporary separation from peers and/or loss of privileges
- Referral to the Principal
- Note to parents
- Suspension/Expulsion (in accordance with Rule 130 of the Rules for National Schools as amended by Circular 7/88)`
I consent to allow my child to attend swimming lessons
Childs Name: ________________ Class:__________
Parents Consent: ________________
Cloonakilla National School
Co Roscommon Telephone 090 6492569
School Calendar 2015-2016
Mid Term Break: Monday 26th October – Friday 30st October (Inclusive)
Parent / Teacher Meeting: November – Date to be confirmed
Christmas Holidays: Tuesday, 22nd December (closing)
Wednesday, 6th January 2016 (re-opening)
Mid Term Break: Thursday 18th & Friday 19th February
Easter Holidays: Closing Wednesday, 16th March
Monday, 4th April (re-opening)
May Bank Holiday: Monday, 2nd May & Tuesday 3rd May
June Bank Holiday: Monday, 6th June
Summer Holidays: Friday, 24th June
Please take cognisance of the above when planning family breaks. Written work will not be assigned to children on holidays during school term.